Ad

Thursday 4 April 2013

DORA AKUNYILI RECOUNTS HER EXPERIENCE AS DG, NAFDAC

Former Director General of (NAFDAC), Dora Nkem Akunyili recounts what she experienced when she was the DG.
 

She reveals that her life was constantly in danger as she, her family and her staff severally came under attack by some unidentified elements in her fight against the proliferation of fake drugs in Nigeria.


She was quoted to have said: ‘They would write letters, make phone calls, call my husband and tell him that ‘if you don’t caution your wife, she may not come out of this job alive.
‘They came to my house one night, beat my cook almost to pulp, repeatedly asking him: where is she? They ransacked everywhere. If I had slept in that house that night, only God knows what would have happened’.‘On another occasion, they put a tortoise in my office. I didn’t touch it. It was my assistant that sprinkled holy water on it and removed it.’

She admitted that it was a very challenging 7 years as her husband and family were constantly concerned for her safety, while also persuading her to resign.

59-year old Dora Akunyili, retired from NAFDAC in 2008 taking a job in the administration of late President, Umaru Musa Yar’dua as the Minister of Information and Communication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment